As part of the team of Fellows hosting tonight’s event on how R&D fits into arts and cultural innovation, I’m posting just a sampling of quick links that I’ve found helpful in getting my brain into a more creative, innovative space for the discussion.
Note: stay tuned to EmergingSF.org for a fuller list of great links which EAP will update after we collect more input from the community and from the event!
From ArtsFwd: Next Practices for Arts Leaders (hands down, one of my favorite arts blogs!)
- What is an Innovation Team?
- What is Organizational Innovation?
- Is Big Data the Next Frontier for Innovation in the Arts?
- Identifying Adaptive Strengths and Weaknesses
- The James Irvine Foundation’s interactive “Arts Innovation Fund” Report
- “Arts Research Center at UC Berkeley is a think tank for the arts, a genuinely interdisciplinary space that brings people together–from across the university and beyond the university, from across the arts and beyond the arts–for unexpected conversations, collaborations, and community-building. “
- Innovation and R&D in the arts – Hasan Bakhshi (on the TheCCITube’s YouTube playlist)
- ArtsFwd’s series of Innovation Stories
- Studying failure: What I learned from a Kickstarter project that failed… badly by Nelson/Roberto
- Failure Bow – Beth Kanter’s blog post on experimentation and failure (featuring a video by Peter Sims)
- Fractured Atlas (NYC) empowers artists, arts organizations, and other cultural sector stakeholders by eliminating practical barriers to artistic expression, so as to foster a more agile and resilient cultural ecosystem. ( I particularly like their innovative business model.)
- The Public Library as Incubator for the Arts via KQED blog
- Interested DIY and the Maker Movement? Check out this cool interactive MakerMap
- “The Digital R&D Fund for the Arts (UK) is a new fund to support research and development projects that use digital technology to enhance audience reach and/or explore new business models for organisations with arts projects.”
- Innovations Labs for Museums Program via EmcArts
- The Robert Rauschenberg Foundation: Artistic Innovation and Collaboration [AIC] grants. “Each $25,000-$150,000 grant will enable cultural organizations to support fearless innovation and cross-disciplinary collaboration by diverse artists.”
Misc Ideas & Thought Pieces!
- Move over galleries: artists sign with agents – “As Stuart Semple joins an agency that also represents models and musicians, is there a new way to sell art?” (A provocative read, from the UK)
- The Case for A New Arts Incubator Model
- How to Run an Artist Led Space
- Cultivating Demand for the Arts: Arts Learning, Arts Engagement, and State Arts Policy
Last but not least: use #BYOID on Twitter to follow/join the convo!
The focus of this short list is nonprofit arts/cultural innovations, but I’m keen to find other examples of more cross-sectoral R&D/innovation partnerships working with the arts sector (e.g. tech, social entrepreneurship, city governments, community-based nonprofits, social services, health care, etc.).
So please feel free to chime in the comments with other links or resources I should add!